On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Aaron, Network Administrator, Great Lakes Internet wrote:

Is there enough separation between the two polarities to run both on the same frequency?

Vertical and horizontal polarization are separated by 25dB, however running them both on the same channel would not be a good plan, IMO. This is especially true if you use a dual polarity antenna OR if you have both radios in the same routerboard. For that matter, if both are in the same enclosure.

I'm looking to replace a 10mbps orthogon with a higher capacity link without having to pay to price for a license upgrade on the orthogon. I'd like to not use any more of the band than I am already using.

One option that you might consider is using narrow (10Mhz) channels. You would need to separate these a little, but you'd be using the same amount of bandwidth, or perhaps a little less.

I just put together an updated OSPF FDX article on my blog.
http://tinyurl.com/6zkdrp

*Butch Evans                    *Professional Network Consultation *
*Network Engineering            *MikroTik RouterOS                 *
*573-276-2879                   *ImageStream                       *
*http://www.butchevans.com/     *StarOS and MORE                   *
*http://blog.butchevans.com/    *Wired or wireless Networks        *
*http://www.wisp-forums.com/    *http://www.wisp-wiki.com/
*Mikrotik Certified Consultant  *Professional Technical Trainer    *