This sounds like a really fun project.  On Verizon's website they have
a 4G/3G USB modem for $20 (with 2 year contract) and 5GB of data per
month for $50.  That is saving you 33% already.  I'm not sure about
taxes and fees on a data card, I have never paid for one.

The company that I work for has about 1000 Blackberries and dumb
phones with Verizon.  They won't cut us a deal at all.  In Verizon's
world 3500 isn't much bigger than 1000, so I doubt they would offer
you a discount either.  But it sure would be nice to use one carrier.
A lot less headache for you.

How much data will this hotspot need to transport each month?  More than 5GB?

DSL would certainly be cheaper, slower, and have a higher monthly cap.
 Is Qwest still around?  They would pretty much resell DSL anywhere
you wanted it.  Once again, keeping you with a single point of
contact.

Casey