On 10/27/2012 19:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 26 21:11, Herb Thompson wrote:
>> On 2012-10-26 1:35 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Per GPLv2 and v3, this requires a *written* offer to provide the
> source code when asked for.  GPLv3 also restricts this right even
> more, see
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html, section 3b.
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html, section 6c (and 6b).
>
> So, usually you provide source code in a public place.
>
> I'm still puzzled, though, why providing source code is such a hassle,
> apparently.  After all, this is called open source for a reason.
>
> Again, for the third time, Open Source is *not* made for the developer
> in the first place.  The idea is to grant the *user* the right to access
> the source code of the application she's using, and the GPL is designed
> this way to make sure that this right isn't conveniently forgotten along
> the way, just because a developer is too lazy (and we devs *are* lazy,
> isn't it?) to create a neat source package and to upload it in a
> *visible* way to the same place as the object package.

This. Unfortunately some developers too have some entitlement issues,
too many think Free means do whatever you want, including enslaving the
downstream users, not sharing the Freedom they received.

Sure, other licenses have their uses in other areas, but with GPL, the
beauty of it is that it does not allow such hypocrisy.