On 19.05.2015 10:09, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> There has recently (as in, yesterday) been a new flicker of activity in the
> mingw-python camp.
> For a long time, GCC on Windows was not a usable option for Python without
> some pretty big workarounds and hacks to get everything working. The
> biggest issue being that you cannot simply build Python extensions with
> MinGW(-w64). For that issue, and the flicker of activity, see this bug
> report:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue4709
>
> Now, it seems that VS2015 is coming with a new "Universal CRT", which will
> be what the new Python version supports. Paule Moore, a new Python
> contributor, is prepared to help significantly as I understand it, but he
> deems support for the new CRT somewhat of a requirement to get streamlined
> support for the GCC/Windows/Python combination. What are the chances of
> this being added to MinGW-w64 "soon"?

IANAL, but UCRT might also improve the licensing situation, where GPLv2
programs can't legally link to anything other than msvcrt.dll that comes
with the OS; if UCRT is, legally, an OS component (and from the way MS
describes it, that seems to be the case), GPLv3 (and, hopefully, GPLv2)
programs will be able to use it. That could serve as an extra motivation
for UCRT support in MinGW-w64.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org