Stuart Henderson wrote:
--On 06 May 2005 14:35 -0600, Abraham Al-Saleh wrote:

uptime, and our SLA only guarantees us 99.999%. So, I'm currently

You sometimes find that SLA means something like "we'll charge you more so that when things break, we can pay some of it back"...

talking with several companies to have another T1 brought in, and I'm
planning on using OpenBGPD to provide fault tolerance. The only
problem? I've never done anything like this before. I'm already

While BGP can be used to improve reliability, it also gives you interesting and varied ways to break your network. What's more, it's quite possible to break your connectivity for extended periods of time (through flap dampening), and there's nothing that can be done to fix it, you just have to sit it out. So it must be done with thought and care.

good resources on bgp in particular (books, websites,

See <http://www.bgp4.as/books> - maybe look at Stewart "BGP4", van Beijnum "BGP", Halabi "Internet routing architectures". Typically, config examples are given for IOS, but many concepts are portable. van Beijnum is probably the easier read, Stewart has good information about the protocol (probably will help you to understand the RFC better), Halabi is published by Cisco Press so understandably IOS-centric, quite a lot of good material.

A test network is pretty much essential to help you get to grips with things...

Thanks for the tips, the funny thing is I just sent a request to my boss to purchase the books by Stewart and Beijnum. And thanks for the advice about testing, I was pretty sure that my weekends and evenings were shot for awhile anyway...