On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:55:30 +1000
"Rod.. Whitworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> RAID 1 (or any RAID really) is NOT a backup. It is a high availability
> system.
> High availability does NOT mean never unavailable.

Hello again Rod,

I've been looking at ways to make a redundant and load balanced SAN. As
you put it, it's not high reliability, once you get a problem with RAID,
or the box that it's attached to, you can consider the data 'unknown'.

The best solution that I have seen is, although a bit of overkill, AFS
(Andrew File System). It's kerberos based authentication on a token
basis. Although I have not implemented it I see that it falls short
because the tokens (if used) expire after 10 hours, which might require
a cron job (if that fails does hell break loose?).

Because it is limited to a single read/write node per volume, I see that
a volume would be required for every directory that might take more than
a few minutes to replicate to the read only nodes to avoid hammering the
read/write node.

All the other network distributed file systems seem under developed or
unstable.

FWIW there is something called DRBD which is considered the closest
thing to RAID-0 over a network, it can fail sometimes with flaky results
in testing. I have found it to be troublesom when problems occur during
sync.

Do you or anyone else know of anything that works better?

--
Regards, Ed http://www.usenix.org.uk