Benny Lofgren <bl-li...@lofgren.biz> wrote:

> On 2011-04-21 22.27, P. Pruett wrote:
>> how about "donate"
> [snip]

> The reason for my initial suggestion, which was along the lines Rafal whom
> you commented also thought, was that a donation *ISN'T A FUCKING OPTION*
> where I and others live.

The other thing is that, based on Theo's 18 April post, funds from
donations (or going to the openbsd foundation) don't go into the same
bucket as funds from CD sales. If I'm interested in putting my funds
into the CD bucket, donations and contributions to the foundation
don't get me there.

Question, Theo:

If I was to say the following, would it work without causing an
unacceptable amount of work?

"My company wants to pay you to develop or fix <feature> (where <feature>
is already on the short list of what is planned for the next release).
It is worth <value> to us.  If you're interested, send us an invoice
(from either you personally or your corporation or other business
entity) in some readily machine readable format (text file,
spread sheet, pdf, it doesn't matter) that lists the amount
and the feature. We'll send you the check immediately, and consider
the deliverable complete when the *initial* version is committed."

That deliverable is intented to be unobtrusive.  It doesn't say
that it *must* be in the next release.  It also doesn't imply
any sort of user acceptance test or support requirement. It allows
for the possibility for you to pass the funds along and have
another developer implement it.  It is similar to other open
source projects where a company might put up a bounty to have a
certain feature implemented (other than in those cases, it is open to
whomever grabs it first).

So, does that take too much time away from development, or is for
some other reason (tax, etc) unworkable?

A possible valid response is, "we don't care that it's going into
the donation fund bucket rather than the CD fund bucket".  A simple
"yes" or "no" also suffices; a long explanation either way is not
required.

And for you undesirables out there:  Unsolicited requests for funds
will go into the bit bucket with all the other spam, so don't try.
Not that you'll listen anyway.

Devin