> I would suggest his company to hire a programmer/developer to commit to
> the project.

I know developers who would be very happy to get contract work regarding
specific ideas and current work they are already involved in (which will
have a big impact on OpenBSD performance and functionality).  Such contracts
would put money into their pockets.  It would also get the developer's
pre-defined task done.

I think I can speak for almost all of those people when I say they would
rather just get paid to do the things they already have planned.  Trust
them; don't lay down a set of instructions.  That match won't work.

If those rules are played I will (for free, until it becomes too
annoying :) hook up developers with those who want to fund them.

Maybe upon completion such a developers might suddenly want to buy 50+
CDs with a part of their income (and then give instruction to "only
ship 1").

It would work.  It is crazy, of course.