On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:12:10PM -0500, Chris Wopat wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Chris Wopat <m...@falz.net> wrote:
> > Had a strange issue overnight. In short I had two OpenBSD boxes acting
> > as routers denial of service my network with OSPFv3 multicast packets.
>
> This happened again today. This time it was on a third OpenBSD box.
> The last time it happened it was happening what appeared to be
> simultaneously from two freshly installed 4.9 AMD64 boxes. This box is
> the same install and similar configuration as before.
>
>  This time we were able to capture a sniff as well as a ktrace.
>
>     http://falz.net/static/openbsd/ktrace-openbsd-49-2011-05-24.out (~170mb)
>     http://falz.net/static/openbsd/sniff-openbsd-49-2011-05-24.pcap (~50mb)
>
> The pcap file above shows 604941 packets in a period of 9.4
> seconds(!). All of the packets are:
>
> 66.170.7.139 > 224.0.0.5: OSPFv2-ls_upd 28: rtrid 66.170.0.14 backbone
> [tos 0xc0] [ttl 1]

Are you running 4.9 or -current? Up until the code generating the LSA
update packets (and sending them) did not change between 4.8 and 4.9.
In -current this code got rewritten to fix a issue. IIRC the problem was
that an LS Update got so big that it did not fit into a MTU sized packet.
If my memory serves me right then the result was this kind of packet
storm.

You should try and compile a -current ospfd on your 4.9 system. I think it
should run without any problems.
--
:wq Claudio