On Tue, February 7, 2012 2:00 pm, patrick keshishian wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Kenneth R Westerback
> <kwesterb...@rogers.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:01:42PM -0500, Joe Gidi wrote:
>>> I just built a new box with one of AMD's FX-8120 8-core processors and
>>> wanted to stress-test it a bit. I installed the Feb 6 amd64 snapshot,
>>> checked out a src tree, and had no trouble compiling GENERIC.MP. I
>>> tried
>>> compiling userland with "make -j8 build" and the box hung.
>>>
>>> Before I go further in depth with troubleshooting, I'd just like to
>>> know
>>> if this "should" work properly on good hardware. If it's known not to
>>> work, I won't waste my (or the lists') time on figuring out why it's
>>> hanging.
>>>
>>> Also, is there a maximum number of make jobs that should work? I used
>>> run 'make -j4 build" successfully on my previous 4-core system...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any feedback,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joe Gidi
>>> j...@entropicblur.com
>>>
>>> "You cannot buy skill." -- Ross Seyfried
>>>

>> Sometimes it works and sometimes not. There are parts of the tree that
>> have races.
>
> it is one thing for the build to fail, but the guy said "the box
> hung", which indicates something is amiss.

Correct, it hung. Screen stopped updating, couldn't switch virtual
consoles, had to reset via the power button. I had forgotten to enable ddb
before the build, and I was watching 'systat sensors' on another virtual
console at the time of the hang (watching CPU temps), so I couldn't see
exactly where in the build the box hung. It did run for about 10 minutes
before hanging, though.