On Tue, February 7, 2012 1:56 pm, Joe Gidi wrote:
> On Tue, February 7, 2012 1:45 pm, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:01:42PM -0500, Joe Gidi wrote:
>>> I just built a new box with one of AMD's FX-8120 8-core processors and
>>> wanted to stress-test it a bit. I installed the Feb 6 amd64 snapshot,
>>> checked out a src tree, and had no trouble compiling GENERIC.MP. I
>>> tried
>>> compiling userland with "make -j8 build" and the box hung.
>>>
>>> Before I go further in depth with troubleshooting, I'd just like to
>>> know
>>> if this "should" work properly on good hardware. If it's known not to
>>> work, I won't waste my (or the lists') time on figuring out why it's
>>> hanging.
>>>
>>> Also, is there a maximum number of make jobs that should work? I used
>>> run 'make -j4 build" successfully on my previous 4-core system...
>>>
>>> Thanks for any feedback,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joe Gidi
>>> j...@entropicblur.com
>>>
>>> "You cannot buy skill." -- Ross Seyfried
>>>

>> Sometimes it works and sometimes not. There are parts of the tree that
>> have races.
>>
>> .... Ken
>
> Thanks. Should "not working" cause the box to hang, or just cause the
> build to fail at some point with an error?
>
> I'm running a bog-stock snapshot install; I didn't try to get cute or
> clever anywhere, no customization, no non-stock sysctl settings, no
> mk.conf. I just installed the snap, checked out a tree, and built per the
> FAQ. I only went "off the reservation" by running 'make -j8 build' instead
> of 'make build'.
>
> I have just enabled ddb.console=1 and am going to try a series of builds
> with progressively higher -j flags. A -j4 build just succeeded.
>
> I'll report back to the list with full details if/when I can reproduce the
> hang.
>
> Thanks again...

And after a bunch of testing with both the Feb 6 snapshot and 5.0-RELEASE,
I get inconsistent results. I've had a 'make -j8 build' succeed at times,
fail at others. Same with 'make -j6 build'. Seems like 'make -j4 build' is
stable. The hangs occur at different places within the build process, with
no pattern I've noticed.

In every case, when the box hangs, I'm unable to break into ddb. I tested
and confirmed that ddb DOES work during normal operation. So, I don't know
what more I can do to gather useful information.

The inconsistency makes me tend to believe I have some flaky hardware. I
have memtest86+ looping on the box right now, no errors so far.

I do wonder, though, if maybe I'm hitting some weird issue with the amd
15h architecture? Are any other users or developers running amd 15h
("Bulldozer") hardware yet?