Joe Gidi <j...@entropicblur.com> wrote:

> I just built a new box with one of AMD's FX-8120 8-core processors and
> wanted to stress-test it a bit. I installed the Feb 6 amd64 snapshot,
> checked out a src tree, and had no trouble compiling GENERIC.MP. I tried
> compiling userland with "make -j8 build" and the box hung.
>
> Before I go further in depth with troubleshooting, I'd just like to know
> if this "should" work properly on good hardware.

Yes, it should.  I've certainly done it before.
It's possible that there are some build races left somewhere that
could cause the build to error out on occasion.  But the box hanging
is not expected.

> Also, is there a maximum number of make jobs that should work?

High numbers might reveal some lingering problems in the Makefiles.
More importantly, contention for the big kernel lock will limit the
amount of concurrency that is achievable.  make build scales
reasonably well to -j4, but with -j8 you're well into the range of
sadly diminished returns.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de