David Diggles <da...@elven.com.au> wrote:

> I am looking for ways to speed up scp over 10GigE.
> With parallel transfer of 4x 8GB files, I get
> the following test results with various ciphers.
>
> These tests maxed out 4 cores with encryption overhead.

Assuming that crypto actually is your bottleneck, here are a few
hints:

First, use a faster MAC: -m umac...@openssh.com

> SSH Options: [-o Cipher=arcfour]
> SSH Options: [-o Cipher=blowfish]

These only apply to the SSH1 protocol and are ignored otherwise.

> SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=arcfour]
> SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=blowfish-cbc]
> SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=aes256-ctr]
> SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=3des-cbc]

There are really three interesting ciphers: aes128-ctr, aes128-cbc,
and arcfour128.

aes128-ctr is the default and already plenty fast.

aes128-cbc used to be the default until a security problem with the
way CBC mode is used in the SSH2 protocol was discovered.  In
principle it isn't any faster than aes128-ctr, but in practice it
may be since it uses OpenSSL's optimized EVP_aes_128_cbc() function
while aes128-ctr relies on calls to the low-level AES_encrypt()
primitive.

arcfour128 is the fastest cipher supported.  (Plain "arcfour" may
be a tad faster, but has known security problems.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de