On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 05:00:11PM +0100, Live user wrote:
| On 29/12/2012 16:50, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
| >If all you've done is compile something, you did not contribute anything
| >copyrightable.  If you did contribute something copyrightable, you are
| >free to add a copyright notice of your own, in addition to simliar
| >notices from previous contributors.
|
| The point I want to reach here is,
|
| I get some BSD code, for example nginx, I improve it and add my
| copyright besides the original one.
|
| And I distribute object code only. I don't see how does this help
| nginx, It only helps me.

If you want to distribute object code only, you'll have to package it
up with the license in a separate file.  Do you intend to use the same
(BSD) license ?  If so, then why only distribute object code ?  If
not, then it really depends on the license you intend to use; but make
sure to add the license for the original code too.

So, what license do you intend to use ?

Anyway, it all sound very theoretical.  Why don't you come back when
you've written the code and want to put it under another license and
then show us that license.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/