----- Crookedmaze <themazed...@gmail.com> [2013-02-10 07:33:34 -0600] ----- :

> This makes me a little nervous and I think I would rather just follow
> release with errata patches or just follow stable. OK, System
> Administrator I see what you mean by overhead now, now that I think about
> it I am starting to see what you mean by undue burdon (why would you add
> something new if what is being used right now works just fine?) I will
> have to have a look at marc.info and see what I can find on the topic on
> binary updates there also. Nick your right I should stop trying to make
> OpenBSD like FreeBSD or Linux, in all honestly I don't really mind the
> current update process, really the only actual "problem" I have had with
> it is simply that if you had multiple servers running OpenBSD
> (eg if you had 200 servers why would you build the patch on all 200 of
> them) but the tool Brian suggested I look at looked promising in that
> it looks like you could just apply the patch on a single system build a
> package and have all the other servers install the package.
> Nick I also agree with you that there is
> a certain "simple elegance" about OpenBSD its actually one of my
> favorite things about OpenBSD in that it is secure by default
> and the installer for it is great because I can install OpenBSD
> in about 3 minutes (as opposed to 20-30+ minutes on others)
> not to mention all the time I would normally have to spend
> hardening the system post install. With OpenBSD its just a matter
> of checking the errata page.

Whilst I understand your concern, I can confirm that since using
snapshots for the last 4 months I have had completely functional and
stable systems. I have yet to come across an issue that i've needed to
manually get involved with fixing. I can highly recommend using
snapshots. Of course, there's the choice so you can stick with what you
feel most comfortable with.

--
Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D  B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38