Hello James,
you are right users may have choice.
I'm working to build a distrib for pxebooting (pxeboot + bsd.rd
generation). After i will try to implement those patches, which are very
interesting for OpenBSD
http://nbender.com/install.netboot/netboot.diff
I only think we musnt't download a script and execute what it is on it.
We must use variables to pass to already existing install script
--
Best regards,
Loïc BLOT,

Le mardi 13 août 2013 à 14:16 -0700, James A. Peltier a écrit :
> [...]
support for network installs by default, no customization of the installer
required.  OpenBSD does not, but it would be VERY nice if it did, even if it
was just noting that it was PXE booting and should look at the location where
it PXE booted (a mirror) and then looked for install.netboot for network boot
instructions, fetched it and ran it.  This wouldn't require any changes on
behalf of an end user to make this process happen.  If install.netboot doesn't
exist, carry on with an interactive install, else fetch it and run it.  No
building of a custom RAMDISK required.

> | > I agree that the most pressing point is automatic network
> | > configuration in
> | > order to be able to download additional configs, like disk config,
> | > package
> | > config, ...
> |
> | It's doable within the base tools, if you assemble things correctly.
> | No reason to not have these stuff off of NFS or TFTP to pull in the
> | config.
>
> There is reason not to do this.  HTTP based booting being one of them.  VMs
without NFS access being another.  The complete inability to use NFS due to
policy being another.

> I think the point is that the end user shouldn't have to build/modify the
base installer to get this functionality.  The diffs presented show that it
could be possible and other OSs already offer this.  Maybe not on the floppy
disk versions but certainly the CD version should offer it.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]