Cannes themselves are not dangerous, however when being used for the
"root" of a domain is _usually_ a bad idea just for the reasons you
mentioned below.

You seem to have a rather over-extented sense of entitlement towards
telling me that I'm doing it wrong.  I hope it makes you feel really
good.

Joshua Smith did not tell you that you are doing it wrong. He pointed out that CNAMEs are not _always_ a bad thing in general, which was in response to someone else who seemed to imply they were. He also was saying browsers do wrong by trying www automatically when the apex doesn't resolve. He made no comment with respect to the openbsd.org domain configuration or "operational things".

-Zeb DeOs