Hi Michal,

Michal Lesiak wrote on Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 11:47:00PM +0200:

> I'm converting a .rc script made by someone a coupe of years ago for
> the same product I'm currently working on. It's important for this
> tale as this may mean that this actually worked for some previous
> versions.
> I'm working on 5.2 version.

That's unsupported for nearly a year now.
Consider upgrading to 5.5 after May 1.

> 1. I have a custom "rc_register()" sub defined in my .rc script, but
> I cannot make rc subsystem recognize that - trying to run that ends
> with calling rc_usage(). I've checked up (briefly) rc.subr and I
> cannot see there any possibility to have custom rc_${SUB} functions
> implemented.
> So, is it possible or maybe it was possible some time ago?

Saying

  /etc/rc.d/foo register

to have rc_cmd() call rc_register() is not possible, and as far
as i can see it never was.  The rc_cmd() switch called rc_err()
for *) from rev. 1.1, and rc_usage since rev. 1.47.

Maybe someone at your place hacked up /etc/rc.d/rc.subr, adding
custom code to that file?

> 2. I'm having a very simple problem of getting any STDOUT output
> from the daemon I'm running. Just as well I'm not getting anything
> with simple "echo foo" put into rc_start(), but the more serious
> issue is when the daemon fails to start, prints out a message to
> STDOUT (it's a Perl script) but rc subsystem only says that it has
> failed with all the output from the daemon lost somewhere.
> Is it my fault or is it a design or, as in the previous case, it
> worked and is not working anymore?

See Antoine's answer.

Yours,
  Ingo