Hi Ingo,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> > I'm working on 5.2 version.
>
> That's unsupported for nearly a year now.
> Consider upgrading to 5.5 after May 1.

I know, but I'll never know what ancient versions my users will use, so I'm
using a (reasonably) old version to build the package and compile stuff to
retain some backwards-compatibility.

> Saying
>
>   /etc/rc.d/foo register
>
> to have rc_cmd() call rc_register() is not possible, and as far
> as i can see it never was.  The rc_cmd() switch called rc_err()
> for *) from rev. 1.1, and rc_usage since rev. 1.47.
>
> Maybe someone at your place hacked up /etc/rc.d/rc.subr, adding
> custom code to that file?

No - the packages with this rc script are installed on end-user's OpenBSD's,
so no system customization would be possible. But that's fine, maybe that
was just someone's copy-and-paste from other system's package.

About the echo, I know about -d option, but that's not the case here.
My question here is broader - what's the OpenBSD's policy in such case?
If the daemon started by the rc.script fails, should it display some information
about that or is "Foo(failed)" enough information for a typical OpenBSD user?
I just want my packages to use "by the book" approach, so that it won't enrage
anyone during installation.

Best regards,
ML