Hi Ingo,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> That's not a good plan at all.  Sometimes, new binaries work on
> old versions and vice versa, but in general, that's not the case.
> So if you ship packages for 5.2-stable (well, actually, 5.2-obsolete),
> you force your users to use 5.2-obsolete.  Not so great.
>
> For example, if one of your users chooses to run 5.5 (which would
> be a good idea), your 5.2 packages will *not* run on that at all.

Ok, got it. My understanding was that binaries complied on older systems have a
better chance of running correctly on newer systems than the other way around.
It's all about limiting a number of build machines, nothing else.

>> or is "Foo(failed)" enough information for a typical OpenBSD user?
>
> Usually not, to debug a failure, you often need more than that.
> But it's sufficent to understand that there was some kind of a
> failure, so you can re-run with the -d option and look at the
> output in detail.

That's good enough. As long as a typical OpenBSD used doesn't expect anything
more there it's fine with me.

Best regards,
ML