Alexandre Ratchov, 20 Jan 2015 10:17:
> in *my* practice, yes. I lost no single file last 10 years despite
> the frequent system crashes during kernel development &
> experimenting.

very nice, i dont doubt that.

but in my experience it is not that hard to get a
corrupted filesystem with softupdates and i had to stop
using it.  but i seem to attract panics and
page faults.

in the recent past i had corrupted filesystems even
without softupdates, up to a point that nowadays i
mount -o sync,noatime.

i have a toshiba ssd, so it actually feels like having
softupdates on :)

when your hardware (and its drivers) are solid,
i am all for it though.  i just dont have that hw.

-f
--
day-by-day a day goes by.