On 1/29/2015 12:03 AM, Ted Unangst wrote:
error 5 is EIO, input/output error. softdep does not support disks
that don't work, to put it bluntly. The original FFS code can cope
with disk failure by backing out of the operation, but soft updates
reorders things and can't undo what's already been done.

Thanks, that's more or less what I figured at the time. (I hadn't thought about the reordering, but it's not unreasonable for the OS to crash if it thinks the root disk has gone away.)

On 1/29/2015 12:41 AM, Nex6|Bill wrote:
> bad multi-path routes, or having bad disks in the array.

In this case, there just wasn't enough I/O available to service the requests in time.