Dewey Hylton <dewey.hylton <at> gmail.com> writes:

<snip>

> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=31.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.50 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=36.00 degC
> # reboot
>
> and meet with success ... if i wait just a few minutes (2) i end up with this:
>
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=48.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=52.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=35.50 degC
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
> # sysctl -a|grep 'sensors.*temp'
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=30.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp0=0.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp1=14.00 degC
> hw.sensors.lm1.temp2=14.00 degC
> # reboot
>
> BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
>
> again, not a very scientific/exacting approach, but half a dozen times i've
> seen the same results. i don't know what it is that trips up the sensors,
> but that's when i seem to have the issue.
>
> now, this is running the 5.4 installation (i downgraded at someone's
> suggestion for testing) and i can easily reinstall from current snapshot to
> see if this may be an unrelated bug.
>
> but until then, does this scenario make sense to anyone?

i now have a fresh install of current/amd64. the snapshot appears to be a
bit on the broken side, as some of the libcrypto/libssl stuff is missing
(this on both i386 and amd64 snapshots) and this prevents me from logging in
via ssh and copy/pasting from terminal. i see this has been reported on the
list already, so a newer snapshot (tomorrow?) may fix this.

but still i have several -current boots under my belt, and the sysctl
temperature thing appears to be similar to what it was with the 5.4
installation. the lm temps are showing negative numbers instead of 0 and 14,
but once that happens the box fails to reboot properly as before.

one other thing i've noticed now that i've reinstalled so many times in the
past few days: it does not matter how long i've been booted into the ramdisk
kernel for installation or whatever - it can sit for hours, and always
reboots properly. no support for sensors in the ramdisk kernel. coincidence?