On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 05:00:13PM -0700, luke...@onemodel.org wrote:
> On 09/11/15 11:55, luke...@onemodel.org wrote:
> >Short version: In OpenBSD 5.7 (with all the latest security
> >patches), after some video playing, it
> >starts to stutter, and doesn't recover until I reboot. Is there
> >a way to "reset all the audio" back so it works, short of rebooting?
> >I haven't found that in anything I've read so far, including from
> >faq 13 and manpages for audioctl and mixerctl etc.
> >
> >The details:
> [...are found in original thread at:
>     http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144199440202788&w=2
> ]
>

> I upgraded to 5.8 as advised in the earlier thread, and the
> problem is definitely much reduced, but still happens occasionally.

The 5.8 audio driver was rewritten from scratch so the behavior may
be slightly different

> It seems to be mostly after I use the xfce volume control slider
> (ie the audio mixer panel plugin).  It usually doesn't have any
> problem if I move around in the video, change the volume via the
> slider inside the video area in the browser, or if I use the computer
> for something else, but did fail just now when I tried to watch a 2nd
> video via a link.
>
> I confirmed that, as described before IIRC, when the problem
> occurs with symptoms in chrome, and I try to use timidity to
> play a .mid file, I get this output from timidity:
>     io_open() failed
>     Couldn't open sndio mode (`s')
>
> Is there other info I can provide, or something I should try?

you could try to kill sndiod and run as root:

sndiod -ddd 2>/tmp/sndiod-log

Possibly use tmux to avoid closing the window by mistake.  Then, do
your usual stuff and whenever you see the failure, run:

(audioctl ; sleep 1 ; audioctl) >/tmp/audioctl-log

and send me both files.  Or at least last few megs if the file is
huge.

This may reveal what's the state of the audio subsystem during the
failure.

thanks

-- Alexandre