On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:31:34AM -0700, luke...@onemodel.org wrote:

> $ls -ltrd /tmp/aucat
> drwx------  2 root  wheel   512B Nov 20 09:39 /tmp/aucat/
> $ls -ltr /tmp/aucat
> ls: aucat: Permission denied
> [and timidity playing a .mid file was working]
> [then i killed sndiod with ^C.]
>
> Could the root umask of 0077 be a problem?  my /tmp/aucat directory
> has different permissions than yours.

The problem is in sndiod; it's supposed create a world readable
directory regardless the user umask.

I just commited the fix; you could either start it with the 022
umask now or rebuild sndiod with sndiod.c rev 1.14 or newer.

Let me know if things work better.

> I set that umask for all
> users to avoid forgetfully
> bleeding information between accounts.

Another option is to create the home directories with mode 0700 and
leave the default umask.  This doesn't protect files outside their
home dir, but I'm not sure this would be a problem.