On 2015-11-14 17:22, Mike Burns wrote:
On 2015-11-14 16.27.30 +0100, bian wrote:
* mention that the "segmentation fault"-message when running the X
-configure is harmless and that the xorg.conf.new file was created as it
should.

That's a bug, and while I likely can't fix it (will gladly look), we'll
need your dmesg and the backtrace from the coredump, in the least.

I believe Xorg -configure has been useless for a long time.
With a hardware that just works, X just works. If a xorg.conf is needed
(as when e.g. using vesa instead of a misbehaving driver),
it is easier to write a simple one from xorg.conf(5) by hand.

        Jan

This is one way of looking at it, yes. However, the quality of the produced xorg.conf.new is fine.

/Birger