On 15 November 2015 at 09:18, bian <b...@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> On 2015-11-14 17:22, Mike Burns wrote:
>
> I believe Xorg -configure has been useless for a long time.
>> With a hardware that just works, X just works. If a xorg.conf is needed
>> (as when e.g. using vesa instead of a misbehaving driver),
>> it is easier to write a simple one from xorg.conf(5) by hand.
>>
>>         Jan
>>

> This is one way of looking at it, yes. However, the quality of the
> produced xorg.conf.new is fine.

I realise these are relatively rare cases for maybe somewhat exotic needs,
but there are legitimate reasons why you might want to use Xorg -configure.

tl;dr: Just because you can autodetect once (i.e. "X just works") doesn't
mean you can autodetect every time.

Suppose your video output is connected using a VGA connector (not
necessarily one still on your graphics card, maybe just in the form of a
DVI to VGA adapter somewhere along the line), and suppose your VGA cabling
does not connect the I²C <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2C> / DDC <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel> pins.
Why might those pins not be connected?
First, not all 15-pin VGA cables are equal (and there even were very early
cables with a DE-9M on at least one end instead of DE-15M D-subs on both
ends, cf. <http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/VGA_9_to_15_pin>).
Second, someone might be using this kind of a balun <
http://www.dx.com/p/utp8201ar-300-single-channel-twisted-pair-vga-video-balun
-receiver-black-184382>
or any number of similar devices, which only connect 8 pins, because the
VGA signal is carried (balanced, but still carried) over existing Cat
5/6/whatever twisted pair with 8P8C/RJ45 connectors (count the shielding if
fully connected and you might say that's 9 pins).

Without the Display Data Channel, monitor/resolution/etc. autodetection
will not work.

You might still wish to rely on autodetection for initial setup, when you
would have a compatible monitor directly connected WITH DDC. Xorg
-configure would write you a nice xorg.conf.
Afterwards, in regular use, your monitor would be connected WITHOUT DDC,
preventing any sensing/plug and play/autodetection from working.

Don't assume that just because you can do X once, you'll always be able to
do X ('scuse the pun).

regards,
–ropers