> I don't see any issue with a company wanting custom work done on the
> project as long as it doesn't contradict the goals of the project.
>
> For example, a company might want to pay more to improve particular
> hardware drivers, is that really a problem?
>
> Consulting could be a good way to raise funds for the project while
> also
> encouraging usage.

See tedu@'s suggestion in the next message (I don't want to replay
twice).

There are 2 other points. First, Theo's day has only 24 hours (who
should do it ?) and second, does he want to do that (that his project
go this way) ?

If you like to start a project like that and, if you find people who
help you - great (serious meaned !). From the income you could donate
direct a part to Theo.