On 29/03/16 14:20, Mihai Popescu wrote:
Hello,

This question is somehow off topic but I know there are some readers
here old enough to shade some light in this matter.
I want to get and idea of what was or is an old true hardware UNIX
terminal. I have searched google, but the word "terminal" associated
with UNIX points most of the time to what we know today as UNIX shell.
If someone, please, can show me a doc or explain a little bit what was
a terminal at that moment back in time. I know that it was some kind
of hardware, maybe RS232 related, used to connect to some main frame.
But I am unable to find the details. I even lack some tech words to
search deeper on the web.

Thank you.

We still use some of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT420
http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/Terminals/VT420.html

You might also want to check "terminal server"