On Tuesday 29 March 2016 14:20:35 Mihai Popescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question is somehow off topic but I know there are some readers
> here old enough to shade some light in this matter.
> I want to get and idea of what was or is an old true hardware UNIX
> terminal. I have searched google, but the word "terminal" associated
> with UNIX points most of the time to what we know today as UNIX shell.
> If someone, please, can show me a doc or explain a little bit what was
> a terminal at that moment back in time. I know that it was some kind
> of hardware, maybe RS232 related, used to connect to some main frame.
> But I am unable to find the details. I even lack some tech words to
> search deeper on the web.
>
> Thank you.

Hazeltine 2000 anyone?
http://terminals.classiccmp.org/wiki/index.php/Hazeltine_2000

When I started building my own Z80 system I got a used Hazeltine 2000. As soon
as I saw it was only capable of capital chars I slaughtered it and replaced
the boards with my own V24 terminal card on a 160x100mm board. It was also
based on a Z80.
The keyboard was a reprogrammed (EPROM) parallel WANG keyboard - it was also
based on a Z80.

Eike