On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 14:20:35 +0300
Mihai Popescu <mih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to get and idea of what was or is an old true hardware UNIX
> terminal.

I was a DEC PDP/11 TSX over RT-11 guy back then, but as I remember, a
terminal was a television that printed letters and numbers plus a
keyboard on which you could type.

The television and keyboard connected to the computer with a serial
cable (RS-232). The serial cable conducted 1 byte letters, numbers, and
a few control and special characters, in each direction. So even a pig
slow serial connection could fill up the television pretty fast: The
computer had no concept of pixels.

To convert letters and digits from the computer to screen pixels, the
television part of the terminal contained a hardware-implemented
character generator. Similarly, switch pairs, from the keyboard,
representing key presses, were converted, at the terminal, to ascii
bytes before being sent to the computer.

The benefits were many. This was an incredibly thin interface, such
that pretty much anything that could send and receive ascii bytes could
be used interchangeably. The 1 byte per letter meant the serial
connection wouldn't be taxed too heavily. The offloading of letter to
graphics to the terminal meant the computer, which had less power than
today's cell phones, could spend its time running jobs rather than
shuffling pixels.

And one benefit that carries over to today: The thin ascii interface
meant the terminal would come up live incredibly early in the boot,
which helped a lot in troubleshooting and bootstrapping up to a useful
system. I can't count the times when, faced with a no-boot, partial
POST computer, I wish I had a terminal to plug into the serial port,
probably after removing the video card. Sure, I could use another
computer plus minicom, but minicom itself introduces so many variables
it's not worth it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz