After migrating from Linux to OpenBSD on my desktop performance was really
bad inside Firefox and Chromium in 5.9 specially on big websites like
gmail. It was not usable, on an 4 core machine and with 16GB of RAM. After
migrating to -current, they have become usable. If it is possible try to
use firefox/chrome in current and check if it works fine.