I was OK with the performance in Firefox (though it was pretty slow).  What
was *really* bothering me was the crashing.  Does 'noscript' solve that as
well?

I'm currently trying out xombrero and vimb.  I feel like vimb might be a
bit faster, but it doesn't recognize the Gmail composing text area as an
input.  Anyone know how to force vimb into insert mode?