>From flashrom's man page:

       Laptops

              Using flashrom on laptops is dangerous and may easily make your
              hardware unusable (see also the BUGS section). The embedded
              controller (EC) in these machines often interacts badly with
              flashing.  More information is in the wiki
              <https://flashrom.org/Laptops>.  For example the EC firmware
              sometimes resides on the same flash chip as the host firmware.
              While flashrom tries to change the contents of that memory the
              EC might need to fetch new instructions or data from it and
              could stop working correctly. Probing for and reading from the
              chip may also irritate your EC and cause fan failure, backlight
              failure, sudden poweroff, and other nasty effects. flashrom will
              attempt to detect if it is running on a laptop and abort
              immediately for safety reasons if it clearly identifies the host
              computer as one. If you want to proceed anyway at your own risk,
              use

                flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick

              We will not help you if you force flashing on a laptop because
              this is a really dumb idea.

So, I guess I should look at BiosDisk too.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX