On 11/10/16 00:47, Nathan Koch wrote:
Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for
myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably
fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any
recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me know.

Thank you.
Nate

Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

I have used ThinkPads with great success:

 - T60p: everything worked

 - W500: everything worked

 - W541: camera and SDHC cards wern't working last time I checked,
   which was a while ago.  Everything else is fine.  Well, maybe
   the docking adaptor is still problematic.

 - A31p: which is now long obsolete, but it worked well.

W500's can be had on ebay in the $280 class range, then add extra mem
and a large disk, etc.

--STeve Andre