Off topic (durability):  I've owned a couple X220 ThinkPads now and I
don't disagree with the Cappuccino report - fans are a real weak point
on the ThinkPad - and they break at the worst times - usually when
travelling.  Basically, the laptop get squished a little, the fan
stops working, and you have to get a new one.

Other little stuff:  the ThinkPad lettering forward of the keyboard
just fell off one day - now there's a bare metal spot on the black.
While the ThinkPad's are known for durability, the X220 is a little
weak in that area.  I love the little screen.  I love even more that
everything works so well under OpenBSD.  I just can't afford to have
the one computer I take on a trip poop itself at the wrong time.  My 2
cents.

I am tempted to give the Toughbook a shot now.  Thanks for the heads up.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> harry666t [harry6...@gmail.com] wrote:
>> On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <br...@brianwhalen.net> wrote:
>> > Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going
also.

>> Typing this on a Thinkpad X200s, running 6.0, very very happy with it.
>
> I consistently get junk when I buy old Thinkpads. Usually the problems are
not major, but I started buying Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1A (1st gen intel) and
CF-C1B (2nd gen intel) laptops which are equivalent to X200 and X220. I have
several units on ebay now for $60 USD which have 14,000 hours (basically on
since they were manufactured) and they look and act brand new. I also started
getting CF-19 MK3 (Core 2 duo) and CF-19 MK4 (i5) for field use. They are
basically rock-solid, even with 8000 hours. Not every single used one has been
great, but most have been very, very good...