On 25.01.2017 15:42, C. L. Martinez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 02:07:55PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2017-01-25, C. L. Martinez <carlopm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have received a (maybe) "stupid" request from one of our customers.
>>> We have a pair of public OpenBSD firewalls (CARPed) that our development
>>> team use to access to several customers via VPN IPsec tunnels. But this
>>> morning we have received a request from one of these cutomers to access
>>> to our development servers using only one acl to permit their public IP
>>> address (without using VPN IPsec, or VPN SSL tunnels).
>>>
>>> And my (OT) question: how easy is to do a MITM attack (DNS spoofing
>>> for example, or another type of attack that permits to fake source
>>> public ip address) in this scenario?
>>
>> For an attacker with no access to endpoints or network in between:
>>
>> - For many protocols including UDP, it is absolutely trivial to send
>> traffic from a fake source address.
>
> But, only SYN can be sent, right?? Source's attacker ip address will not
> receive ACK, etc. Is it correct? If it is, he/she/they only can do DoS
> attack, they can't steal information, right?

UDP and many other protocols are connectionless, so there is no such
thing as SYN/ACK. You basically just send your data package and hope it
somehow gets to its destination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

>> - With TCP it depends on various things but sometimes you can predict
>> enough of the IP stack behaviour to spoof blindly and send data.
>> reassemble tcp + random-id can help.
>>
>> If an attacker can MITM (either by getting $client to send to their
>> machine instead of yours directly, they can obviously log or modify
>> packets before forwarding on to the real server. It depends what
>> you're running over it as to whether this is a problem.
>>

> Uhmmm ... but in this case, I don't see how an attacker can fake original ip
> public source address ... Any theorical example?
>
> Many thanks Stuart for your help.

In an MITM scenario, the send data packets actually flow _trough_ the
MITM's machine before they are forwarded to your machine. No need to
fake original source address, as it won't be changed. Think of the
MITM's machine as a simple router interconnecting your and the $client's
WAN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just