Le 2017-03-22 17:28, Jan Betlach a écrit :
Hi misc,

planning to install -current on my Thinkpad T450s (SSD).

I need to have several data directories encrypted, however would not mind whole-disk encryption. Which method would be more supported / recommended? Whole-disk encryption or creating a container file, loop device and then
virtual device with the encryption layer on it?

Thanks in advance

Jan

Hello Jan,

That would depend on your need, do you want to protect against someone
who would steal your computer, or against some malicious software
running under your system to read your data ?

In the first case, you should go with FDE (full disk encryption), your
data would be available only after you type the password at boot.

In the second case, you should use some kind of encrypted volume that
would be available only when you need to. I think that's possible to
create an encrypted ffs volume contained into a file, that you can
mount when you need.

Regards