One thing to note with FDE: power the system down completely whenever the
system is unattended. If someone steals it while it's powered on or
suspended, the disk is completely accessible to the system without a
password. There are a number of plausible attacks even if you are logged
off or have a screen lock.

I don't know that fde isn't supported. I've been using it for years exactly
as outlined in the FAQ. Obviously, no one can help you if you lose your
password.