On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> I spent yesterday and today installing 6.1 from scratch on a Dell
> Optiplex gx620. The machine has a pentium 4 @3.0GHz with 4GB non ECC
> RAM, returning a passmark of 354*. The aim is to replace the
> accountant's windows 10 pro tomorrow morning, moving the disk into his
> more recent Dell. In summary, I have everything he needs, including a
> gui that looks like windows 7, except for the following, so far:

I don't know about the Optiplex gx620, but I have a refurbished Optiplex
790 that I bought earlier this year.  It gave me all kinds of problems
with network issues and ssh.  For example, when I ran syspatch after the
first three patches were released, sshd would no longer run if I was using
IPv6.  Also, connections to other machines would fail suddenly, sometimes
within seconds.

I stuck in another disk and installed Fedora Workstation on it and had the
same issues so it wasn't because of OpenBSD.

I ended up upgrading the firmware and that seems to have fixed the issues.
That proved to be a bit of a problem because you have to be running
Windows to upgrade the firmware.  I have some old versions of Windows
around, but they all require IDE drives.  I finally got Windows running
(it sure ran slow compared to OpenBSD) and installed the firmware.

I bought this computer to become my primary workstation replacing a Lenovo
desktop running SuSE Linux.  I have a couple of packages that need Linux
so I'll keep the older workstation, but on another table, and use ssh from
this computer as necessary.

For what it's worth, my top preference for a window manager is
WindowMaker.  That's all I've used for years on both OpenBSD and Linux.

Eric