On 2018-01-06, Lari Rasku <lari.ra...@elisanet.fi> wrote:
> On 01/02/18 14:03, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> Hosting a large git repository is not trivial, it uses far more server
>> resources (memory and cpu time) than an anoncvs/cvsync/rsync mirror, and
>> OpenBSD src/ (or even just ports/) is *huge* for a git repo. It works
>> better on Linux where things are more separated. Even *just the kernel*
>> is split across multiple repos.
>
> The Linux kernel repo is multiple times the size of OpenBSD-src [1],
> so I don't see how things being more separated helps them re: hosting.
> Perhaps kernel.org just has more hardware to throw at the problem?
>
> And in case anyone else was confused, the Linux kernel itself isn't split
> across multiple repos: you can build a fully functional one from a single
> checkout.  It is the kernel *development* that is split across multiple
> repos, with occasional merges to mainline.
>
> [1]: Naive estimate based on comparing object counts when cloning from
>      GitHub:
>      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/ -
> 5,779,337 objects,

Ah thanks, I didn't manage to track that down with the 850 others :)

>      https://github.com/openbsd/src - 1,741,047 objects.

When I've tried converting in the past I've had things like it taking
about a minute to do a git log, even after the git repack that people
familiar with git suggested I try.

>> Anyway, has anyone fetched your openbsd-src0-test repo from github while
>> crossing crypto export boundaries? That has the exact same issue,
>> except that now as it's your repo, it may well be considered that it's
>> *you* that is responsible for exporting it.
>
> Surely the responsibility for exporting lies with the one doing the
> checkout?  Otherwise I don't see how operators of OpenBSD CVS mirrors
> in the US aren't in the same position.
>
> Or is there some technical distinction between "mirroring" and "checking out"
> a repository?  (I ask because the warning against fetching sources from USA
> when located outside North America only appears on
> https://www.openbsd.org/cvsync.html, not https://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html
> or https://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html.)

I don't know all the details. But the github page about it at
https://help.github.com/articles/github-and-export-controls/
makes it sound like it's the repo owner's responsibility to me.