Hi Bogdan,

Bogdan Kulbida wrote on Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 04:17:51PM -0700:

> I need to build a pf OBSD firewall for a small office. What minimally
> feasible equipment would you recommend in order to achieve this goal?

I seriously doubt that you can find anything in the trash that isn't
seriously oversized.

In 2001, i ran an OpenBSD 2.7 firewall with ipf(4) on an
Intel 486-SX25 (25 MHz) with 24 MB (not GB!) RAM, a system
disk of 100 MB (not GB!) and a /var/ disk of another 100 MB.
The about ten concurrent users were happy with it for years.

OK, that would no longer work because the SX25 had no numerical
coprocessor which is now required to run OpenBSD, and it required
some fiddling to fit the system installation into 100 MB.  But it
always routed the traffic fast enough.

Currently, one of my office firewalls runs on:

 - CPU: AMD-K6 234 MHz (yes, a quarter of a GHz)
 - RAM: 128 MB (yes, an eigth of a GB)
 - HD: ATA (not SATA!) UDMA-2, 3 GB (not 300 GB!)

The only reason the machine is *THAT* large is that at the time it
was selected, we no longer had any smaller dismantled desktop
machines in the trash.  I don't have the slightest doubt that a
much smaller machine would also be fine - certainly with half of
everything, like 100 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 1 GB disk.

And since then, i'm too lazy to pull something newer from the trash
to replace it - because it just works.

As a matter of fact, i'm sending this email over it...

Yours,
  Ingo