On 09/04/18 01:17, Bogdan Kulbida wrote:
> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> I need to build a pf OBSD firewall for a small office. What minimally
> feasible equipment would you recommend in order to achieve this goal?

'minimally feasible' hardware for a small office firewall includes most
(i386 or amd64) hardware made this century, mod a few devices that were
just to weird and hard to come by to keep supported.

But then as others have mentioned, older hardware tends to draw more
power and run hotter than newer units, and you might find yourself in a
situation that the source of spare parts just ran dry.

There are several highly intergrated and even fanless systems on the
market that would be suitable (do go for the ones with at least two
physical network interfaces though).

One of the more traditional designs I was resonably happy with for my
home network for a few years was a HP Microserver G8, which with a few
PCI slots, dual bge(4)s built in and IIRC 4GB memory. Ran like a charm,
and was dirt cheap for a new system at the time.

- Peter

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/