I definitely agree to qmail
It was a learning curve for me in the late 90's to get it going on Redhat,
after that Mandrake and Slackware with finally settling down on FreeBSD and
OpenBSD

Sadly, there are some concerns about the aging code with various patches
available to compensate, but I have not found a viable replacement ever since
getting fond of qmails/tcpserver's flexibility  with patches and pain to adopt
to new encoders and ssl/tls versions

Be aware, qmail is not an off the shelf usable software but once you get into
it - you may never leave
I did not and do not intent until it can't be maintained.

if you demand for performance, FreeBSD + Qmail-ldap is THE way to go.

my 1 cent.