Ken,

Putting all the OpenBSD evangelists to one side, there are two things to say.

First, like me, you might use OpenBSD for many things. And like me, you might
come to the conclusion that using OpenBSD for mail is not one of those
things.Personally I prefer to use a decent Linux stack for my mail, but I know
saying that is probably amounts to heresy round here, so I all I will say is
"do your homework, test various options, see what works for you".

But the second (far more important) point I want to make is please *THINK
TWICE* if "running your own mail server" is something you are planning to do on
your home internet connection.

Why ?

 Well, you have all the spammers of this world to thank for the xSP community
taking "more rigorous" approaches to spam filtering.

I can tell you now that running a mailserver on your home internet connection
is only likely to lead to many head-scratching "why is Joe not receiving my
emails ?" moments.

If you are going to run your own personal mailserver, then either: (a) Rent a
box somewhere else;or
(b) Do it at home, but on a business internet connection where you can jump
through all the anti-spam hoops without problems (static IP, reverse DNS etc.
etc. etc. .... all of which will be difficult or impossible to convince your
ISP to implement on your typical dollar a month residential connection).