On Wed, 8 May 2019 22:43:00 -0400
Charles <char...@cdaniels.net> wrote:

> I'd like to chime in here, on a slightly different subject.
>
> I think the OP (Clark) raises a point, but I suggest he's coming it
> from the wrong angle. I think there's something here to discuss that I
> have not seen mentioned in this thread thus far.
>
> TL;DR: the OpenBSD (and friends) way of thinking is falling further
> and further out of fashion with respect to mainstream computing  -- I
> justify this statement, posit on the need for action, and propose a
> starting point.

Ex-actly! Certain OSes and distros, and OpenBSD is one of them, cater
to the hands-on, DIY type of person. Turning OpenBSD into just another
Ubuntu would be a disservice to such people.

[ snip a bunch of true and insightful writing ]

> However I don't think shipping a
> different WM/DE is going to help.

Back in 2010 or thereabouts,  when I used OpenBSD on a laptop
regularly, OpenBSD offered a bunch of WM/DE's in its package manager.
That's a wonderful thing, because different people have different
workflow techniques. I assume OpenBSD still has several different
WM/DE's.

I don't know whether OpenBSD has KDE or Gnome, and don't really care. I
kicked KDE off all my boxes in 2012 because it's it's a massively
entangled monolith. As far as Gnome, even if it *could* be used in the
absense of systemd, I view Gnome as a gateway drug to the
Freedesktop.org worldview of having every software strongly linked to
every other software, and I want no part of that noise.

One point I didn't see in RFC's post is stability. When I used OpenBSD
back in 2010, subjectively it seemed more stable, more consistent, and
less surprising than any Linux I'd ever used (and of course than any
Windows I'd ever used). If my computer were just for web browsing,
social networking, email, and storing photos and videos, Ubuntu or Mint
would be stable enough. But the way I work, I often have over 50
windows open. I can't afford the massive instability bestowed by "we do
it all for you" user interfaces.

SteveT