On 7/16/19 11:03 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:36:03AM -0700, BSD user wrote:

On 7/16/19 4:13 AM, Jonathan Drews wrote:
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 08:06:20AM +0000, Roderick wrote:

At this point, I am going to look for another printer that is more
OpenBSD friendly. My Desjet 6940 is pretty old and the cartridges
cost a lot (> USD $120.00)

Kind regards,
Jonathan

I may just be a luddite, but after wasting multiple days messing around
with cups, ghostscript, hplip et al, I decided it was just easier to
print everything via postscript.

.
.
.
This solution doesn't offer the convenience of automagically converting
arbitrary file formats to PCL or whatever the printer format of the day
is, but it works for me without having to have add a ridiculous number
of packages and configs.

Thanks Roderick:

I got to this instruction in the CUPS Readme:

*** WARNING ***
ulpt(4) needs to be disabled in the kernel (see config(8)) or the printer
will not be available to libusb.

I read the manpage for config (8) and I can't seem to find the appropriate
configuration file in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile. I'll have to
read up on compiling the kernel and modifying it's configuration file.
Once again thanks for all the generous help form you guys.

Regards,
Jonathan

I think you can temporarily disable ulpt via ukc, but I can't confirm as
I'm currently travelling.

As sthen@ said (IIRC) earlier in the thread, if your printer has
networking (ethernet or wifi) support, it's usually easiest to just
print over the network as it saves having to mess with kernel configs
and device node permissions.

Because I don't trust printers and their ancient firmware and "cloud"
features, I threw my printer on an isolated VLAN with a firewall rule
set in my router to block any outgoing internet traffic from the printer.

Cheers