Strahil Nikolov <hunter86...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On April 25, 2020 4:09:53 AM GMT+03:00, Theo de Raadt <dera...@openbsd.org>
> wrote:
> >Allan Streib <astr...@indiana.edu> wrote:

> >think
> >alternative
> >won't
> >>
> >> I'm not the one complaining about the 16 partition limit, and I'm not
> >> asking for anything to change. I've only said I think it's something
> >> that is the way it is because of the design decisions made on the
> >basis
> >> of "reality" at the time, and which probably didn't contemplate the
> >day
> >> when everyone would have multi-terabyte hard drives and that people
> >> might want more than 16 partitions. I stand corrected on that
> >> speculation if I'm wrong.
> >
> >Reality hasn't changed.  A sector is still 512 bytes, and
> >disklabel has to fit in it.
> >
> >You are not LISTENING.
>
> Does  this mean that with a sector of 4096 (modern HDDs/SSDs) and a patch -
> we can have larger disklabel ?

We access all disks as multiples of 512, no matter what their
underlying storage layout is.  We align some stuff later, but
that does not change the fact "struct disklabel" is precisely
512 bytes longer.

Feel free to make your own version of code that works on some
machines, but not other machines.  Feel free to figure out for
yourself how it solves nothing.