Le mer. 24 juin 2020 à 13:01, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> a écrit :

> On 2020-06-23, Daniel Ouellet <dan...@presscom.net> wrote:
> > OpenBSD does run on some old Cisco routers, it's been done before. Sure
> > it's not officially supported nor does it support all the various
> > interfaces but it's known to work on some.

Not a router per se, but my home gateway is a Cisco ACE 4710 appliance
running 6.6, with multiple rdomains, tinc vpns, bgp full ipv6 table
and a couple of nics, and a 4GB cf as harddisk.

https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4760

> > Here is an example using the4 old Cisco IDS-4215
> >
> > https://komlositech.wordpress.com/2018/12/30/revive-a-cisco-ids-into-a-capable-openbsd-firewall/
> >
> > I was just curious as to what stage it might be now.
>
> That's just someone reusing janky old hardware that is being thrown out,
> there is no particular effort to support it on the OpenBSD side.

My hardware is really ancient compared to modern servers:
$ sysctl hw.model
hw.model=Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz

It draws power for sure, much more than an APU or similar, but I like it :)

The install was straightforward, install on the CF from another host
w/ qemu, plug, boot, done.

> > May be Juniper instead as Juniper is based on FreeBSD anyway and it's an
> > over price PC with specialize network cards. (; Ok more then that, but
> > you get the picture I think.
>
> they're devices with network forwarding ASICs that happen to use a
> FreeBSD system as the control plane (and are moving to Linux now but
> I digress).. networking on the control plane is really limited and
> only meant for management, beyond that you need to interface with
> the special hardware.

The Cisco ACE4710 had a specialized nic, a cavium (octeon?), running
linux on a mips cpu, to offload all the heavy lifting. I removed it
and never tried to use it.

I also tried to install 5.sth on a nokia IP 710 firewall, that didn't
go that well because of some pci & acpi issues iirc, and overall it
was less interesting because of the huge form factor, and the
linecards beeing proprietary.