On 1/27/21 1:45 PM, Samarul Meu wrote:
mie., 27 ian. 2021, 20:24 <tetrahe...@danwin1210.me> a scris:

Ironically this is the same error I have been getting, and recently
posted about in the thread "Bootloader on USB stick fails with "root
device not found"" ...

I read your thread just now. I will try the -a option.

Interesting, but I must mention that my OpenBSD is installed on an
encrypted partition.

-a at the boot prompt is my thought, too...but the little bit of your
dmesg that you show seems to indicate you are not seeing the encrypted
drive handled by in softraid at all.  So I have my concerns this won't
do much but delay the panic (the kernel's panic.  Too late for your
panic, I'm sure).

If this doesn't work for you, I'd start by booting off a bsd.rd (USB,
CDROM, network, whatever) and looking around a bit.  What does the
fdisk of your physical drive look like?  Is your OpenBSD partition
still there?  If not, recreate it (hopefully you either used the
defaults or remember what you did).  All that really matters is the
starting sector (probably 64 assuming MBR.  UEFI is 1024, iirc, but
I'm too lazy to look this up right now.  Dammit, no I'm not, yes,
probably 1024, but I'm DEFINITELY not looking to see if that's a
hard number or if there are things that cause it to move around).

After the fdisk partitions, look at the disklabel in on the physical
drive -- should be one big RAID partition as 'a' and type RAID.

I am kinda suspicious that the bioctl command you gave was not the
culprit in this situation, but something else in your script.

As for safeguards...Well, from personal experience recently, I can
*assure* you I understand the first response when something goes
horribly wrong and your finger is the one on the (virtual) trigger
is, "Why wasn't there a safeguard??".  I get that, and I bet mine
was a bigger oops than yours.  But realistically, there are an
almost unlimited number of ways to hurt yourself, and a much smaller
number of ways to do things right, and often what to person A is
a horrible mistake, person B needs as a way to solve a big problem.
I have often needed to use an OS like OpenBSD to clean up messes in
other OSs because the safeguards in the other OS prevented me from
doing what I needed to do.  So yes, I understand, but no, I don't
want a "are you sure?" on every step of everything that could cause
an "event".

And think how much you just learned about the value of good backups...

Nick.